Thursday, August 26, 2010

Moth Clothing_ Jo Vorster

For the first time in my very short career as a writer [of only my personal blog] I suffer from what they call writer's block, not due to a lack of information, but purely because I don't know where to start. This lady is such an inspiration to me and so very interesting. It was such a pleasure meeting her and getting to know the talent behind Moth a teeny bit better.

As she sat down, after greeting me and me thinking, "this is one of the friendliest people I have met!", Jo started telling me all about how since she was a little girl she loved taking old clothes and fabric and cutting it up, mixing it all and then stitching different things back together to make new things. That is the basic concept of Moth Clothing today, a few years later.

Jo has such a passion for vintage anything, if I had to sum her up in one word it would be awesomvintage [I think that is one word]. Three years ago she opened a shop in Somerset West, selling great vintage finds. The shop was entirely furnished with old remade furniture and accessories. It was however not her cup of tea as she could not get herself to say, "good day, can I help you with anything", one more time. Also she missed expressing her creativity. Jo closed the store and went back to living with her mom and with no money started making clothes from whatever old clothes and vintage fabric she could get. This all happened in the back room [the one where all the unwanted stuffies get stored] of her mom's house. Now, a year and a half after the shop opened, Jo is so very much on track with her clothing line, Moth. She supplies five different stores in Cape Town, including Wardrobe in Gardens and Claremont and also Lily boutique in Stellenbosch.

Moth clothing is so unique and special, each design starts with little pieces of fabric or an old shirt or even vintage printed sheets and then evolves into a unique vintage-feel item that is brand new and really well made AND very affordable. I love Moth! Find Moth Clothing on Facebook or have a look at the blog . Moth clothing will also have a sale on Sunday 29 August... 

All images are property of Moth Clothing

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...